In the Army, there are many different reasons you can receive an Army Officer Evaluation Report. Listed below are the most common types of Army OERs, assuming the Officer has at least 90 days in a duty position.
- Change of Rater Report: An Officer would receive this type of OER when their current boss leaves their duty position, normally from a retirement, transfer, separation or promotion.
- Annual Report: This is quite perhaps the most common type of OER. After you have been in a duty position for 12 months, you would receive an annual report. You should always check it to make sure it is accurate.
- Extended Annual Report: There are two types of “Extended Annual” reports; one is mandatory to cover any period of non-rated time since the previous report, the other is optional and used only in exceptional situations.
- Change of Duty Report: When an Officer starts a new duty position, either from promotion or transfer they will receive a Change of Duty OER for their previous job.
- Depart Temporary Duty, Special Duty, or Temporary Change of Station Report: When a soldier has temporary duty (TDY) or a Temporary Change of Station for more than 90 days, they would receive this type of evaluation report. The only exception is when a soldier attends a military school and they get a DA 1059.
- Temporary Duty, Special Duty, or Temporary Change of Station Report: Pretty much the same as # 5 mentioned above. The difference is: this one is for going, and the other for leaving.
- Failed Promotion Selection Report: This report only applies to Active Duty Army Officers. NCOs and USAR and ARNG Officers are excluded. When an officer is “passed over” for promotion, they would get this type of OER.
- Release from Active Duty Service Report: This is normally given at the end of a deployment. Also, it is for USAR and ARNG only.
The best reference I found online is AR 623-3, Chapter 5. If you can think of a type of mandatory Army Officer Evaluation Report that I forgot, just leave a comment to this post and let me know. Also, if you have any questions about mandatory Army Officer Evaluation Reports, just post it below and I will do my best to provide an answer. Thank you.