In today’s post I want to share the top 7 places where Soldiers can volunteer during the holiday season. Since the holiday season is right around the corner, it’s a good time to think about what you are grateful for and think about ways to give back. One of the best ways to give back is to volunteer your time to help others in need. It doesn’t have to be a huge time commitment either. Even volunteering for an hour or two can have a big impact and make a difference.
Listed below I want to share a few places where Soldiers can volunteer. This is by no means a complete list, but it is a good starting point.
1. Your Local Church – I’m not sure if you are religious or not, but if you do go to church on a regular basis, this is a great place to volunteer. Most churches have several volunteer projects going on at a time. They often host soup kitchens, spend time with people in the hospital, have fundraisers and much more. If you belong to a church, ask one of the staff members what volunteer opportunities are available. I’m sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
2. Cook/Groceries – If you have friends who are veterans, or just know someone in need, you could invite them over to your house for dinner. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that you could take someone in need out to eat or buy someone them some groceries.
3. Veteran’s Homes – Most communities have a veteran’s home or veteran’s community. You could visit this location to see if they have any volunteer opportunities available. For example, you might be able to visit the home and just “hang out” with a veteran. Or, you could come in and provide group entertainment. Or, maybe you could take someone out to lunch.
4. Soup Kitchens – Every community has a soup kitchen. And in today’s economy, most of these soup kitchens need volunteers to help prepare food, do dishes, clean up, etc. You could spend a day at the soup kitchen and have a tremendous impact in your local community.
5. Schools – If you have children in school, you could volunteer at the school. There are countless opportunities such as the Booster’s Club. I suggest you start out with looking for volunteer opportunities in activities that you kids already participate in.
6. Salvation Army – One of the coolest volunteer opportunities I can think of is with the Salvation Army. You could dress up as Santa Claus and “ring the bell” and collect money for people in need. There is normally a Santa Claus at just about every mall in American. Contact the Salvation Army to learn more.
7. Your Local VFW, AMVETS or American Legion – All of these veteran’s organizations need volunteers, especially during the holiday season. Contact your local chapter to learn more. There are normally opportunities to cook, help with holiday parties, and more.
Volunteering is a good thing. It’s a great way to give back to your local community. I think the best thing you can do is start locally. See if there is a way you can help people that you know. I think that is the best option. If that option isn’t available, look in your neighborhood or local community for opportunities. Whether you can volunteer one hour, or even a few days, I think it is important to give back and help your community and friends/family.
What are your thoughts? Leave a comment and let us know.