Ever since the killing of Osama bin Laden, this country has been more interested and appreciative of the US Special Forces within our military. Recently, I watched Zero Dark Thirty and thought to myself…”What was the last Special Forces movie that I watched and really enjoyed?” Come to think of it, almost all my favorite military flicks are actually movies about our Special Forces (whether it be Rangers, SF, Navy Seals, etc.). Here is a list of my Top 5 Special Forces Movies:
5. The Eagle Has Landed: This is an intense WW2 thriller about a plot by the Germans to kidnap Winston Churchill. This movie is actually based on book of same name which was inspired by the exploits of daring German SS COL Otto Skorzeny.
4. Bravo Two Zero: This is the true story of the most highly decorated British patrol since the Boer war: an eight man SAS team inserted behind Iraqi lines during the Gulf War in January 1991. Their mission was to take out the scud missiles which Saddam Hussein was using to terrorize his enemies, as well as to sever strategic communication lines between Baghdad and North West Iraq. This top secret mission was called “Bravo Two Zero” and it was commanded by Sergeant Andy McNab. Of the eight who went out, only five returned. Dropped into “scud alley” carrying 210-pound packs, McNab and his men soon found themselves surrounded by Saddam’s army.
3. Blackhawk Down: In October 1993, 120 Delta Force Commandos and Army Rangers were dropped into the heart of Mogadishu, Somalia. Their mission…a fast daylight raid to kidnap lead terrorist Mohammed Farrah Aidid, who had been killing U.N. workers delivering food to starving Somalis. Aidid’s goal was to control the country by controlling all the food.
The U.S. raid went off with clockwork precision, until the unexpected happened. Two of the U.S. Black Hawk helicopters were shot down and the rest is history. The mission abruptly changed to a rescue operation. Surrounded by Somali militia, a fierce firefight ensued that left American troops trapped and fighting for their lives.
2. Zero Dark Thirty: The account of the decade-long hunt for Osama bin Laden after the September 2001 attacks, and his death at the hands of the Navy S.E.A.L. Team 6 in May 2011. I particularly enjoy this movie because of the background chronicle of events leading up to the killing of bin Laden. It shows you the intelligence aspect that support the actions executed by our Special Forces.
1. Green Berets: COL Mike Kirby picks two teams of Green Berets for a mission in South Vietnam. First off, is to build and control a camp that is trying to be taken by the enemy…the second mission is to kidnap a North Vietnamese General. This movie is my favorite and on top of the list only because this movie reminds me of my grandfather with whom I watched this movie with for the first time. Also, because it stars The Duke himself!
There are many different Special Forces movies out there, but these are definitely my top 5. I would love to get some feedback from you. Which movie on my list is your favorite? And which movie did I leave off the list that you think I should have added? Leave a comment and let me know.
Thanks for visiting my website today. My name is Chuck Holmes. I am a former Army Major (resigned). I enjoy mentoring Soldiers, NCOs and officers through this website. I’ve had the luxury of working for myself, from home, for the past six years. I’m a pajama entrepreneur. If you’d like to learn how to work from home like I do, you should learn more about my home business. I promote natural and organic products and weight loss.
If you’d like to get in touch with me, my best email is firstname.lastname@example.org.