Most people have heard at one point or another that they need an “I Love Me” book or binder. This is another term for a three ring binder that you keep all your important military related documents in. Whether you use a three ring binder, a filing cabinet, or something else is totally up to you. But, having an “I Love Me” book is a “must do” for every Army Officer, NCO and Soldier.
If you want to have a successful career, you need to manage your records efficiently. We’ve all heard the horror stories of the person who didn’t get promoted because their records were lost or misplaced, right before the promotion board. Or, we’ve heard stories that someone didn’t get selected for a certain duty position because their personnel records/IPERMS weren’t up to date.
Never let this happen to you! Be proactive with your personnel and training records. Create your own “I Love Me” book or binder and update it monthly. At a minimum, here’s what you need in your “I Love Me” book.
- Army Evaluation Reports
- School Certificates
- DA Form 2-1
- Civilian Education Transcripts and Diplomas
- MOS/Branch Qualifications Letters of Recommendation
- DD Form 214s
- APFT Cards
- HT/WT sheet
- Weapons Qualification Paperwork
- Any other important document you can think of
Make sure that you organize your “I Love Me” binder and keep it updated once a month, minimum. Whenever you get a new award/promotion/document, make sure you file it with your S1 Officer to update your IPERMS. Additionally, make a photo copy of it and put it in your binder.
It sounds so simple, but so few people do it! Be a leader and create your own “I Love Me” book. I’ve had one for nearly 13 years now. It never gets old. Besides, you never know when you will need to reference a document. Having all your key paperwork in one place makes it that much easier to find these documents when you need them.
I’m a civilian now, and I still have an “I Love Me” book for my old military records, in case I ever need them. I use the same concept with my business and non-military paperwork, too. It helps me stay organized and gives me a single place to reference my important documents.
What are your thoughts? Leave a comment and let us know. If you have any questions, you can ask those here too.
Former Army Major (resigned)
- Drop the Belly Fat Today! Decrease cravings. Lose weight and feel great. Learn how.
- The # 1 Health Product you need, but haven't heard of before! Get the info.
- My Favorite Cup of Coffee. You've got to try this SMART COFFEE. Learn more.
- The # 1 Home Business for 2024 & Beyond! Daily Pay. Take the free tour.
- Get Paid to Shop Online. It's 100% free forever. Earn $30 per referral. Learn more.