Today, I want to share a sample Brigade or Battalion S3 OER Support Form. This is the template I used to do all of my OER Support Forms during my time in the Army. The information will cover from block 4a until the end of DA Form 67-9-1. Feel free to use this as your own template, and tweak whatever you need to. As a quick disclaimer please note that this is from my own S3 OER Support Form, however, I modified or added some information to give you the best sample possible.
4a. State Your Significant Duties and Responsibilities
Serves as the S3 Operations Officer for the 70th Regiment (LDR). Plans, controls and executes mission operations for the Regiment. Prepares all operation orders, warning orders and fragmentary orders. Prepares detailed plans which support execution of policies and strategy. Determines training needs of the Regiment and prepares and supervises training to support those needs. Establishes policies and standards for unit readiness and supervises unit efforts to meet readiness standards. Establishes the composition of forces required to support plans, from the fiscally constrained force to the resourced force level. Supervises 4 NCOs. Additional duties include Unit Movement Officer and Logistics Readiness Officer.
4b. Indicate Your Major Performance Objectives
A good Operations Officer, in my opinion, is someone who can take a mission requirement and formulate a simple, yet effective plan in a timely manner. The plan must be thorough, but easy to understand, so the Soldier can read, interpret and execute the plan. A good S3 Officer must have a sound understanding of Army Operations, Army Training, the Military Decision Making Process and unit capabilities. He must be analytical, decisive, and pro-active. With that being said, these are my performance objectives:
- Conduct MDMP on all missions and prepare OPORDs in a timely manner
- Keep meetings to a minimum. Ensure all meetings have a specific task and purpose and do not exceed one hour.
- Develop a cohesive and competent section.
- Develop a thorough plan to move the Regimental Headquarters to APG-EA.
- Prepare detailed plans which support execution of policies and strategy.
- Determine training needs of the 70th Regiment and prepare and supervise training to support those needs.
- Establish policies and standards for unit readiness and supervises unit efforts to meet readiness standards.
- Establish the composition of forces required to support plans, from the fiscally constrained force to the resourced force level.
- Finish ILE Phase 2 and Phase 3.
- Complete the Frederick Marathon.
- Finish and publish my seventh book.
- Always support the commander and her priorities.
5b. List Your Significant Contributions
- Prepared four major OPORDs
- Spearheaded six MDMP sessions with Regimental Staff
- Led seven Regimental Training Meetings. All meetings were one hour or less.
- Developed plan and OPORD to move Regiment from Camp Fretterd to Aberdeen Proving Grounds
- Finished and published seventh book
- Mentored 1 NCO resulting in their promotion to SFC
- Completed Phase 2 for ILE and started Phase 3
- Reviewed and updated Regimental Training SOP
- Finished training for Frederick Marathon by running 293 documented miles; the race is scheduled for two months from now.
5c. List Any Unique Professional Skills or Areas of Expertise of Value to the Army
Published Author of 7 books, Trained Speaker, Excellent Trainer
5d. If Unable to Serve in the Current Branch/Career Field, In Which Branch/Career Field Would You Prefer to Serve?
Public Affairs Officer
5e. List 3 Future Assignments For Which You Feel You Are Best Suited
Battalion XO, Brigade XO, Battalion Command
Thanks for checking out my sample Battalion S3 or Brigade S3 OER Support Form. I hope you can use the information on this page to complete your own OER Support Form. If you have any additional insights or tips you would like to share, just leave a comment to do so.