In case you don’t know, I am a subscriber to Success magazine. In fact, it’s the only magazine I read. I love the magazine because of all the great inspirational articles and success tips. In one of their past issues (July 2011), there was an interview with soccer legend Edson Arantes do Nascimento. If you’ve never heard his name before, he has a nickname too, “PELE.” In fact, he’s quite perhaps the greatest athlete in the history of the world.
I read his interview and picked up a few key points that really got me thinking. Listed below, you will see my top five key points from the article. Below each quote, I will provide my two cents.
1. “Preparation doesn’t start a day or week before the game or event.”
2. “Love what you do… That passion will give you strength, discipline, the desire to work hard and the humility to understand you can always improve.”
3. “You cannot win a tournament without a good strategy, discipline and perseverance.”
4. “To achieve success, you need determination, hard work, respect for your mates and your adversaries, and most of all a love for what you’re doing. Not only in football, but for everything in life.”
My Take: Nothing good in life comes easy. You must work hard. Study your enemy or competition and learn from them.
5. “Know that you will fail along the way toward achieving your goal. Keep going anyway.”
My Take: Never give up and never surrender. The difference between success and failure is quite small. Successful people keep going. It’s always the darkest hour, right before victory.
Regardless of what you do for a profession these principles apply to you. Whether you are a Soldier, an employee, or an entrepreneur, you should listen to this advice. And it really boils down to this:
- Love what you do.
- Formulate a game-plan for success
- Take action and work hard
- Learn from your mistakes
- Never quit!
I hope that helps. Have a great day! And don’t forget to share your thoughts.