Credit… It can be a good thing and for some, it can be a bad thing.
If properly managed, credit cards can help a person get a good credit score which can be quite helpful when buying a home, car or other high dollar item.
For military personnel, you may want to consider the Military Star Card. This credit card is only available to military personnel and their families.
In today’s post, I am going to give you the top 10 cool facts about the Military Star Card. This post will inform you so you can determine if you need or want a Military Star Card.
#1: How To Apply
To apply for a Military Star Card, simply click here and follow the directions to fill out the application.
- Read the terms and conditions prior to submitting your application.
- Questions should be directed to Exchange Credit Program Contact Center at 1-877-891-7827.
#2: Who Offers And Manages The Military Star Card
The Military Star Card was created by and is offered and administered by the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES).
#3: Can The Military Star Card Be Used Anywhere?
The immediate answer is NO!
The Military Star Card can only be used at Military Post Exchanges, as well as:
- Uniform shops
- Armed Forces Recreation Center resort hotels
- Army lodging, Morale, Welfare and Recreation
- On-base Boingo Wi-Fi service subscription
- Armed Forces Network equipment (required to rent)
- On Base Gas Stations
- And on Base Mini-marts/Shoppettes
- On Base Class Six stores
- Some on-base mini-mall retailers
One of the primary questions wise people ask before they accept any credit card is, “what will it cost me to use this card?” From what I see, the costs are much lower than most:
- 10.99 annual percentage rate
- no annual fees
- no late payment charges
#5: First Shopping Day
After receiving your Military Star Card, the Exchange offers a special feature. On your first day of shopping using your new Military Star Card, you will get a 10% discount on everything.
Other posts you may enjoy:
- Military Dog Tags: Top 10 Cool Facts
- The Fairbairn-Sykes Dagger: Top 10 Facts
- Military Graduate Schools In The United States
- Army 31D MOS Overview: Criminal Investigations Agent
- Veteran Small Business Loan: What You Should Know
For every $1 you spend using the Military Star Card, you will earn 2 points. Once you reach 2,000 points, you will receive a $20 Post Exchange gift card.
The wise person keeps close track of credit purchases and payments. Plus, the Military Star Card gives you an easy way to do so all on your smartphone. Just download the Military Star Mobile App from either
You can keep track of everything and know what rewards you are close to getting.
#8: Military Clothing
There is no interest rate when using the Military Star Card to purchase military clothing and accessories.
#9: Deployment Special Feature
While deployed, you are not required to make monthly payments and the interest rate will drop to 6%.
#10: Monthly Payments
Your monthly payment will be the greater of 2.777% of the unpaid balance, or $10. For purchases under the Military Clothing Plan, the minimum payment will be 12.5% of the unpaid balance.
There is a penalty rate of 20.24%. The penalty rate applies if you do not pay the full amount of any total minimum payment due within 60 days of the due date, and will apply until you make six consecutive on-time payments thereafter.
There are many benefits that Military Star Card members receive. It will help your credit, plus…
- Exclusive Exchange offers promotions for purchases made with the Star Card such as sweepstakes, discounts, 0% interest and more
- Five cents per gallon fuel discount (military installation gas stations)
- 10% food court discount
- Money saved from merchant fees is re-invested into military installation programs and services
Overall, this seems to be a great credit opportunity for military personnel.
Have you used the Military Star Card? Let’s hear your thoughts and opinions. You can post them in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: We are in no way affiliated with the Military Star Card. This information is for educational purposes only and is not to be construed as financial advice.
About The Author
Greg Boudonck is a full time freelance writer and the author of over 50 books. He served in the United States Army in the early 1980’s and enjoys writing about military subjects. You can see Greg’s books on Amazon by searching his name and you can also visit his website at Lancerlife.com.