It only makes good sense to take advantage of all the education the military is willing to provide.
From what I see, there are 9 graduate schools within the United States Armed Forces.
I am going to go through the one by one and tell you a bit about each.
This University was created in 1976 as the Department of Defense realized a greater need of joint military activities.
Located at Fort Leslie McNair in Washington D.C., National Defense University is chartered by the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Within National Defense University is:
- College of International Security Affairs
- Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy
- College of Information and Cyberspace
- Joint Forces Staff College
- National War College
- Institute for National Strategic Studies
- Center for Applied Strategic Learning
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
This is also a joint service Graduate School run by the United States Federal Government. It is where training in all forms of medical areas happens.
Located in Bethesda, Maryland, it was established in 1972.
The University offers:
- Combined MD/PhD Program
- Graduate School of Nursing
- Post Graduate Dental College
- College of Allied Health Sciences
In a case like this, students must be able to work in direct medical care facilities to gain credits. The affiliated facilities are:
- Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD
- Malcolm Grow Medical Center, Andrews AFB, MD
- Northern Virginia Mental Health Institute, Falls Church, VA (civilian)
- St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, Washington, D.C. (civilian)
- Washington Hospital Center, Washington, D.C. (civilian)
- DeWitt Army Community Hospital, Fort Belvoir, VA
- Portsmouth Naval Hospital, Portsmouth, VA
- Naval Hospital, Camp Lejeune, NC
- Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Fort Gordon, GA
- Darnall Army Medical Center, Ft. Hood, TX
- Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX
- Wright-Patterson Medical Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
- Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA
- Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI
- Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX
- David Grant USAF Medical Center, Travis AFB, CA
- 96th Medical Group, Eglin AFB, FL
- Martin Army Community Hospital, Ft. Benning, GA
- Womack Army Medical Center, Fort Bragg, NC
- Naval Hospital Jacksonville, Naval Air Station Jacksonville, FL
- Bob Wilson Naval Hospital, San Diego, CA
- Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, Camp Pendleton, CA
- Naval Hospital Pensacola, Pensacola, FL
United States Army Command and General Staff College
Run by the United States Army and located at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, this College has been operating since 1881.
There are 4 schools within this College:
- Command and General Staff School
- School of Advanced Leadership and Tactics
- School of Advanced Military Studies
- and School for Command Preparation
Other posts you may enjoy:
- Get Your Military Schools Done ASAP
- The Top 5 Army Schools
- Best Military Schools for ARNG Captains
- Army Aviation Flight School: Cool Things You Should Know About It
- List Of Army School Course Codes
United States Army War College
Located at the historical Carlisle, Pennsylvania, the Army War College has been in operation since 1901.
It is, as said, run by the Army, but every year, officers from other branches are also accepted into this school of military strategies.
The mission of the Army War College states:
“To prepare selected military, civilian, and international leaders for the responsibilities of strategic leadership; educate current and future leaders on the development and employment of landpower in a joint, multinational and inter-agency environment; conduct research and publish on national security and military strategy; and engage in activities in support of the Army’s strategic communication efforts.”
Air War College
Founded in 1946, this is the Air Force’s War College and located in Montgomery, Alabama at Maxwell Air Force Base.
AWC offers these degrees:
- Master of Strategic Studies
- Master of Military Operational Art and Science
- Master of Aerospace Studies
- Master of Science in Flight Test Engineering
- Associate in Applied Science
Marine Corps University
Started in 1989, MCU is located at Quantico, Virginia.
Degree programs include:
- Marine Corps War College
- Marine Corps Command and Staff College
- and School of Advanced Warfighting
You can see the MCU website here.
Naval War College
Located at Newport, Rhode Island, it is known as the Home Of Thought.
Founded way back in 1884, this school has educated some of the brightest Naval leaders the United States has ever had.
The location is perfect for mock war games involving Naval units.
Naval Postgraduate School
Established in 1909, this school is located in Monterey, California.
The mission of the Naval Postgraduate School is to provide relevant and unique advanced education and research programs to increase the combat effectiveness of commissioned officers of the Naval Service to enhance the security of the United States.
Within NPS is:
- Graduate School of Business & Public Policy
- Graduate School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
- Graduate School of Operational & Information Sciences
- School of International Graduate Studies
- Center for Homeland Defense and Security
- and a Masters of Arts Program
Air Force Institute of Technology
Located near Dayton, Ohio on Wright – Patterson Air Force Base, AFIT was founded in 1919.
There are 4 schools within:
- The Graduate School of Engineering and Management
- School of Systems and Logistics
- The Civil Engineer School
- and School of Strategic Force Studies
There you have the U.S. Military Graduate schools.
Have you attended any?
Do you have any questions?
You can post all below.
About The Author
Greg Boudonck is a full time freelance writer and the author of over 50 books. He served in the United States Army in the early 1980’s and enjoys writing about military subjects. You can see Greg’s books on Amazon by searching his name and you can also visit his website at Lancerlife.com.