What should you know about the M1070 Heavy Equipment Transportation System (HET)?
Let me start by telling you that the M1070 HET plays an important role in the Army. The mission of the HET is to “Transport, deploy, recover and evacuate combat-loaded main battle tanks and other heavy tracked and wheeled vehicles to and from the battlefield.”
Here are a few other things you should know about the M1070 HET.
- It’s frequently used to haul around the M1 tanks and M2 Bradleys, armored personnel carriers, self propelled artillery, bulldozers and other heavy equipment
- It is used in conjunction with the M1000 Heavy Equipment Transporter Semi-trailer
- It was first introduced to the Army in 1993
- The tractor is made my OshKosh and the trailer is made by Systems and Electronics, Inc.
- The tractor is just over 30 feet long
- The M1070 tractor has front- and rear-axle steering, a Central Tire Inflation System, and cab space for six personnel to accommodate the two HET operators and four tank crewmen
- It can travel on highways, secondary roads, and cross country
- It has a Caterpillar 700 HP engine
- It features a five speed automatic transmission
- It can be transported by a C5A or C17
- It holds 250 gallons of fuel and has a range of 300 miles before it needs to be refueled
- It features a payload of 140,000 pounds
- It can reach speeds of 50 MPH
- In most cases the M1070 HETs are part of a transportation company and are operated by 88M Soldiers
Other posts you may enjoy:
- Army 21E MOS: Heavy Construction Equipment Operator
- Army 21V MOS: Concrete and Asphalt Equipment Operator
- Army Ground Support Equipment (GSE) Platoon Leader: My Story
- Army Warfighting Functions: A Complete List & Overview
- Military Auctions: Good to Know Stuff
Here’s a video I found of the HET in action! It sure is awesome!
If you have experience with the M1070 HET and M1000 Trailer, I would love to hear from you. Please tell us what you like or dislike about the vehicle. I’d also like to know how it compares to a traditional 18 wheeler.
Just leave a comment to share your thoughts.
Thanks for visiting my website today. My name is Chuck Holmes. I am a former Army Major (resigned). I enjoy mentoring Soldiers, NCOs and officers through this website. I’ve had the luxury of working for myself, from home, for the past six years. I’m a pajama entrepreneur. If you’d like to learn how to work from home like I do, you should learn more about my home business. I promote natural and organic products and weight loss.
If you’d like to get in touch with me, my best email is firstname.lastname@example.org.