General Hal Moore may be more well known to many as the character portrayed by Mel Gibson in We Were Soldiers. Be that as it may, General Hal Moore was an excellent example of an Officer and a leader. He led the the 1st BN 7th CAV Regiment in 1965 during the Vietnam War (which was depicted in the movie We Were Soldiers). I’m sure you remember his famous quote: “…When we go into battle, I will be the first one to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off. And I will leave no one behind. Dead or alive, we will come home together. So help me God.”
I’d like to take a moment and share a few other quotes that I enjoyed:
- “Three strikes and you are not out! There is always more you can do to influence any situation in your favor.”
- “A Leader must ask, ‘What am I doing that I should not be doing and what am I not doing that I should be doing?’”
- “A Leader must be visible and exhibit confidence under any set of circumstances. The determination to prevail must be felt by all.”
- “When there is nothing going wrong, there’s nothing going wrong except there is nothing going wrong! A leader must always be ready.”
- “Always trust your instincts. Instincts and intuition give one an immediate estimate of a situation.”
- “Everything in leadership boils down to judgment. Intelligence and good character does not imply one has good judgment.”
- “Study history and leadership qualities. Pay special attention to why leaders fail.”
- “A person of authority does not automatically become immediately respected or trusted-it is earned.”
- “Every person in an organization is an important and necessary to a mission as the next person. That goes from the top to the bottom.”
- “Instill the will to win! There can be no second place trophies on display…awarded or accepted.”
- “Always remember to never deprive a person of their self-respect. NEVER!”
- “To do well in any field of endeavor, it is an advantage to work with good people.”
- “Strive to have one or two people around you who are totally trustworthy.”
- “Spend quality time with the team, learning who they are and what motivates them. Create a family.”
- “Great leaders learn to lead self first. Before you can lead others, leading self successfully must be accomplished day in and out.”
As you can see, LTG Hal Moore is a leader with great wisdom. I hope these quotes have in some way inspired you to be a better leader. I’d also love it if you shared your favorite quote by LTG Hal Moore. Just leave a comment to do so.
Thanks for visiting my website today. My name is Chuck Holmes. I am a former Army Major (resigned). I enjoy mentoring Soldiers, NCOs and officers through this website. I’ve had the luxury of working for myself, from home, for the past six years. I’m a pajama entrepreneur. If you’d like to learn how to work from home like I do, you should learn more about my home business. I promote natural and organic products and weight loss.
If you’d like to get in touch with me, my best email is firstname.lastname@example.org.