In today’s post, I would like to share some gift ideas for Army promotions, ETS and Retirement. I truly believe that if you have people working for/with you, you should recognize their efforts whenever possible. This especially holds true when it comes to ETS, promotions and retirements. The last thing you want is someone to leave your command and have little to show for it. Always do your best to recognize your soldiers, especially when they leave.
You want to make sure that each person gets something for their service. This is great for morale and esprit de corps. It shows your soldiers that you care. That being said, here are a few of my favorite Army Gift Ideas.
- Plaques: You could order a plaque for the person. On the plaque you could have a quote, their name, and something memorable. You can have a nice plaque made for $40 or $50.
- Gift Card: Gift cards are great. Some people might disagree with this, but I think it’s great if you have everyone in your section chip in what they want to and then take the money and buy a gift card for the soldier.
- Cash Bonus: Cash is king. As mentioned above, you can have everyone in your section (who wants to) contribute to a going away fund. You could give this money as a gift to the soldier. Just don’t make the contributions mandatory.
- New Uniforms: You could have everyone contribute some funds and buy the soldier new uniforms, especially if they are low ranking and could use them.
- DVD or Custom Movie: You could create a custom DVD or movie from all the videos you have with everyone in your section. This would be like a “remember us” video.
- Books: Books make great gifts. You could pick up a few books that might help educate the soldier and make them a better leader. Or, you could just purchase a few books that might interest them.
- Thank You Card: At a minimum, you should get a thank you or congratulations card and have everyone in your section sign it.
- Dinner Party with Family: You could take your soldier and his/her family out for dinner one night and treat them. Find out the favorite restaurant of your soldier and take them there.
Once again, these are just a few gift ideas for Army promotions, ETS, and retirements. Your key to success is to come up with something unique or different. If possible, try to make it personal and memorable. Never let a soldier leave without getting something from your section. Even if they are a dirt bag soldier, at least get them a thank you card and wish them well on their way. Whenever possible, you should also submit your soldiers for awards, in addition to their gift.
These Army Gift Ideas work well. Don’t feel like you need to spend a lot of money yourself. Get creative and find low cost ways to provide these gifts. If necessary, get some of your subordinate leaders to help contribute to the fund. And if no one else wants to contribute, you should use your own money. It’s simply the right thing to do. And it’s part of being a good leader.
Do you have any other gift ideas? If you have comments or questions, just post them below…thank you for visiting.
Thanks for visiting my website today. My name is Chuck Holmes. I am a former Army Major (resigned). I enjoy mentoring Soldiers, NCOs and officers through this website. I’ve had the luxury of working for myself, from home, for the past six years. I’m a pajama entrepreneur. If you’d like to learn how to work from home like I do, you should learn more about my home business. I promote natural and organic products and weight loss.
If you’d like to get in touch with me, my best email is firstname.lastname@example.org.