General Douglas MacArthur is one of the most famous and most important Generals in the history of the U.S. Army. Some folks look at him as the “American Caesar.” For the rest of this article, I want to share some helpful information about this famous Army General. And my ultimate goal is for you to take some time to learn more about him and learn from his successes and mistakes. There is a lot you can learn from this guy.
Quick Facts About General MacArthur
- He was born in 1880 and died in 1964
- He was Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army in the 1930s
- He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, making him and his father the first ever father/son to earn the award
- He was recommended for the CMOH three different times
- He was the Field Marshall of the Phillipine Army
- He graduated from West Point in 1903 at the top of his class
- He retired from the Army in 1937, but was recalled in 1941
- He was president of the American Olympic Committee during the 1928 Summer Olympics
- He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross three times, seven Silver Stars, and five Army Distinugished Service Medals
- He participated in the Mexican War, World War 1, World War 2 and the Korean War
- He served from 1903 to 1964, an amazing 61 years of service
- Some of his key assignments include: Army Chief of Staff, United Nations Command, Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers, and more
- He served as Chairman of the Board at Remington Rand
- He was married twice and had one child
- He is buried in Norfolk, Virginia
Simply put, this guy had a remarkable career and life.
Videos About General Douglas MacArthur
Here are a few neat videos I found about General MacArthur on YouTube.
Books About General MacArthur
In conclusion, General Douglas MacArthur had a pivotal role in the U.S. Army, serving in many different important assignments throughout his long career. While he was no means perfect, he was a brilliant tactician and leader. We can all benefit by studying his life and career and implementing what we learn.
What are your thoughts? What do you like or admire about General Douglas MacArthur? What do you find most amazing about the man? Leave a comment and let me know.