What should you know about FM 6-22? This is the Army Leadership Bible. It is broken down into four major parts and contains 12 chapters of useful information. I’ve provided a summary below.
The Basis of Leadership
- Leadership Defined – This chapter talks about what leadership is. It defines an Army leader as “anyone who by virtue of assumed role or assigned responsibility inspires and influences people to accomplish organizational goals. Army leaders motivate people both inside and outside the chain of command to pursue actions, focus thinking, and shape decisions for the greater good of the organization.”
- The Foundation of Army Leadership – This chapter discusses how history has shaped leadership doctrine through the past 200+ yeas.
- Leadership Roles, Leadership Levels and Leadership Teams – Learn what the role of the leader is, the different types of leaders and the role of command teams.
The Army Leader
- Leader Character – Learn how character plays a vital role in leadership. This chapter covers the Army Values and values it takes to be an effective leader.
- Leader Presence – Learn how you must be emotionally and physically present. This also covers your posture and how you handle yourself as a leader.
- Leader Intelligence – Learn about the “common sense” and “intelligence” required to be a successful military leader, covering decision making, the thought process and much more.
Competency Based Leadership
- Leading – Learn how to lead others inside and outside the chain of command, how to communicate effectively, and how to lead by example.
- Developing – How to create a positive environment and develop others and how to prepare yourself for success as a leader.
- Achieving – How to provide guidance and establish priorities so you can accomplish the mission.
- Influences of Leadership – This chapter focuses on how to minimize stress is training and in combat.
Leading at the Organizational and Strategic Levels
- Organizational Leadership – This covers leadership guidance at the tactical level from the Division and below.
- Strategic Leadership – This covers leadership guidance at the “big Army” level.
FM 6-22 covers the big picture and the details of Army leadership. Whether you are a Squad Leader or Commanding General, you should consider FM 6-22 a must read. I highly recommend you get a copy for your leader’s library and refer it to it whenever you have a leadership question or issue. It would also be a good reference for any OPD or NCODP Class you want to give.
Do you have any other things you would want to add to this post about FM 6-22? Do you have any questions about it? You can post them below. Thank you for visiting.