The Army Scuba School, also known as the Combat Diver Qualification Course is a school for the best of the best in the Army! It’s a badge you won’t see very often in the Army Reserves or Army National Guard unless you are assigned to a Ranger or Special Forces unit. During my 15+ years in the Army, I’ve only seen three Soldiers wearing the prestigious Army Scuba Badge (pictured to the right)!
In the paragraphs below, I want to share some information about the Army Scuba School, so you can have some basic knowledge about the course:
- The school is seven weeks long; although it started out as a four week course
- The school started in the mid to late 1960s
- It’s also known as the Combat Diver Qualification Course
- It’s said to be the most difficult Army School
- The school is located at the JFK Special Warfare Center in Florida
- 1 out of every 3 candidates fail the course
- It’s open to Ranger qualified and Special Forces qualified NCOs
- Students require a grade of 85% or higher to pass the course
- One of the toughest parts of the school is the “drown proofing” where candidates arms and legs are bound together and they must perform a variety of tests
- There is a rigorous pre-test that candidates must complete at their home station unit prior to even going to the school
- Get more information about the Army Scuba School
Candidates who graduate the school and earn the Army Scuba Badge frequently work with the Special Forces and Navy Seals, whenever there is some type of underwater mission.
Army Scuba School Videos
I wanted to share a couple videos to give you a better idea about what the school is all about. This first video shares some of the drills they do at the Combat Diver Qualfiication Course.
This second video shows a Special Forces Soldier using a Black Shadow 713.
In summary, if you are a member of the Rangers or Special Forces (or plan to be) you should highly consider attending the Army Scuba School at the JFK Special Warfare Center. This is a great school to develop and hone your diving and scuba skills. It’s also one of the toughest schools in the Army.
If you’ve ever attended the school yourself, I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment to share your story. If you have any questions we may be able to help you with about this course, just post those below too. Thank you.