When most people think of war, the primary thoughts are on tanks firing projectiles, mortars and infantry charging into battle. But there is so much more!
Psychology is a huge part of a war winning strategy. Making the enemy think you are better, bigger and stronger when you may be just the opposite. Giving the enemy the impression you will attack in one place when you are attacking in another.
Psychology is an important war tactic. Armed forces leaders from days of old have used psychology as a weapon.
The United States Army knows that they must integrate psychological systems into their strategy and that is where the 37F Military Occupational Specialist comes in.
Today, I am going to give you an overview of the Army 37F, Psychological Operations Specialist. This is an Army job that most generally, soldiers already in the Army are chosen for. But it is possible to enter the Army with this MOS if you have the requirements met.
Army 37F Basic Job Description
The Army 37F is primarily responsible for analyzing intelligence, developing psychological offensive or defensive measures, and distributing that information to the proper channels for maximum effect.
Other posts you may enjoy:
- The Top 29 Reasons To Own A Gun
- Communicating During Deployment: 18 Important Tips
- U.S. Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM): 10 Cool Facts
- The Top 20 Military Strategists Of All Time
- Army Functional Area 47: Academy Professor, United States Military Academy
Army 37F Responsibilities And Duties
The responsibilities and duties of the Psychological Operations Specialist are numerous. Let’s look at some:
- Research and analyze methods of influencing foreign citizens and governments from a variety of information sources.
- Gather intelligence and conduct studies to determine psyops targets.
- Operates PSYOP dissemination equipment and assist in the delivery of PSYOP products.
- Safeguards classified and sensitive material.
- Travel to overseas locations in peace, crisis and conflict to assist U.S. and foreign governments, and civilian populations.
- Maintains journals, status boards, operations maps, and overlays.
- And much more.
Requirements To Become an Army 37F
As mentioned earlier, usually members of the service are enticed to reclassify to this MOS but sometimes the Army does accept entry level 37F’s.
The requirements are stringent.
- Must be a United States citizen
- The ability to attain a Secret security clearance
- PULHES of 111221
- Very heavy physical demands rating
- ASVAB score of 101 in Skilled Technical (ST)
- A qualifying score on the Defense Language Aptitude Battery
- Never a member of the U.S. Peace Corps
- No court martial convictions or civil convictions (some waivers are possible)
Training For The Army 37F
If a soldier is entering the Army with this MOS, they must first complete Basic Combat Training and also complete and pass Jump School (Airborne).
Advanced Individual Training is approximately 13 weeks at U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School – Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
Once trained, you will receive assignments that could be anywhere in the world.
This is a job that will be stressful, but satisfying. It is a prime component of warfare. Actually, psychological operations are used in many ways. Yes, even politicians in our own government use psychological tactics.
If you are or have been an Army 37F, please tell us more… If you can. If you have any questions, you can post those here too.
“One need not destroy one’s enemy. One need only destroy his willingness to engage.” Sun Tzu
“There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind.” Napoleon Bonaparte
About The Author
Greg Boudonck is a full time freelance writer and the author of over 50 books. He served in the United States Army in the early 1980’s and enjoys writing about military subjects. You can see Greg’s books on Amazon by searching his name and you can also visit his website at Lancerlife.com.