While not a “sexy” Army job and many say it has many difficulties, being an Army 25B Information Technology Specialist can lead to some great civilian jobs after your stint in the Army is completed.
The primary job of the 25B is to maintain and troubleshoot and repair computer systems as well as other information and communication systems used by members of the United States Army.
Army 25B Basic Job Description
As I explained the primary job above, I must mention that those who take on the position of an Army Information Technology Specialist are absolutely crucial to Army operations. The 25B must have great technical skills and knowledge of computer languages and programming.
Since there are computer systems in all Army bases, the Army 25B could land nearly anywhere.
Army 25B Responsibilities And Duties
The responsibilities and duties of the 25B are numerous. Here are a few:
- Supervises, installs, operates and performs unit level maintenance on multi functional/multi user information processing systems, peripheral equipment, associated devices in mobile and fixed facilities.
- Performs analyst and information assurance functions and conducts data system studies and prepares documentation.
- Operates and performs preventive maintenance checks and services on assigned vehicles and power generators.
- Debugging, analyzing, testing and modifying software, programs and manuals
- and much more
Any system that is acting questionably will most likely require a 25B’s examination.
Other posts you may enjoy:
- Army 255A Warrant Officer: Information Services Technician
- TC-AIMS II: Transportation Coordinators’ – Automated Information for Movement Systems II
- The Army Information Operations Branch
- Army 25D MOS Overview: Cyber Network Defender
- U.S. Army Cyber Command (USARCYBER): 13 Cool Facts
Requirements To Become an Army 25B
The requirements to become an Army 25B are strong… Army strong.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Very heavy physical demands.
- PULHES = 212221
- Must have an ASVAB score of 95 on skilled technical.
- The ability to obtain a secret security clearance.
- Must have completed at least 2 years of accredited college or technical school studies in computer science, information systems or have a combination of 2 years formal training and work experience in data communications, UNIX operation systems, local area network installation and management, telecommunications protocol/internet protocol (TCP/IP) and routers.
Training For The Army 25B
As with all Army jobs, the first priority is to make sure the soldier is trained as a fighting machine. It requires approximately 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training (BCT).
Once the soldier has successfully completed BCT, he/she will be sent to Fort Gordon, Georgia… The United States Army Signal School for extensive training both in the classroom and hands on. For approximately 20 weeks, the soldier will be at Advanced Individual Training (AIT) at Fort Gordon.
Once completed, the Army 25B could be sent nearly anywhere.
The position of Army Information Technology Specialist is a wise move to further your career path after the Army. There are tons of companies that can use people with these skills.
Another thing about this job is, you will find yourself in a position of always having to learn and adapt to changing technologies.
Personally, if I were about to join the Army in these days and times, this is a MOS I would seek. The possibilities are endless.
If there are any 25B’s reading this post, please tell us more.
If you have any questions, just post them below and I will do my best to get you an answer.
Thank you for visiting and have a great day!