When it comes to military driver’s training, licensing and testing, Army Regulation 600-55 is the Bible. AR 600-55 covers all aspects of driver’s training. This regulation is a great resource for Motor Pool Personnel and Small Unit Leaders. In fact, every leader should have a copy of this regulation in their leader‘s library.
Here is a brief overview of what you will find in AR 600-55.
- Driver Applicants: This chapter covers the licensing requirements and types of drivers in the Army. It’s basically an overview of the entire program. Drivers must have the appropriate license, and this chapter will explain that.
- Driver or Operator Selection: You will learn about the record’s review process, the interview process, and physical examination requirements before issuing a license. Simply put, you will learn who can and who can’t get a military license.
- Driver or Operator Training Program: This covers instructor requirements, qualification, sustainment and remedial training requirements, and training requirements for tracked vehicles, emergency vehicles, etc.
- Testing: In this chapter you will learn the examiner qualifications, types of tests that need to be administered and how to administer those tests.
- Licenses: This section covers permits and different types of licenses. It also discusses how licenses are revoked, modified and renewed.
- Mechanical or Ground Support Equipment: This chapter covers the requirements to use ground support equipment such as radios and generators.
- Night Vision Devices: This discusses instructor requirements, certification requirements and additional follow on training requirements. This is very important, as in some situations drivers cannot drive with lights on, but must use night vision.
As you can see, AR 600-55 is absolutely loaded with great information about military driver’s training for Army Personnel. If you are in charge of a Driver’s Training Program or a Motor Pool, you should keep a copy of Army Regulation 600-55 with you at all times. The information is very informative and to the point. If you have a question about driver’s training and licensing, there’s a good chance the answer you are looking for is in this regulation.
Do you have any more information you would like to offer about AR 600-55? Maybe you have a question or comment. Just post it below. Thank you.