Today, we’re going to talk about the 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment in the Army National Guard. To the best of my knowledge this is the only ACR in the entire Army National Guard (correct me if I am wrong please), and one of only two ACRs in the entire U.S. Army.
What I want to do in the paragraphs below is share a few neat facts about the unit, so you know what they are all about.
- It’s part of the Tennessee Army National Guard
- The motto is “I Volunteer, Sir!”
- The unit has participated in the American Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican War, the War with Spain, the Mexican Expedition, World War 1, World War II, the Korean War and the Iraq Campaign.
- It’s headquarters is in Knoxville, Tennessee
- It consists of a headquarters element and six squadrons (battalions)
- The unit is equipped with M3 Bradley tanks and M1 Abrams tanks
- Their primary mission is surveillance, reconnaissance and security
- It is a self-sustaining unit commanded by an O-6 Colonel
- They have a state and federal mission, as do all ARNG units
- Their history dates back PRIOR to the American Revolutionary War
- They served under General Robert E. Lee under the Army of Northern Virginia during the Civil War
- There are four Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients from the unit, three from World War One and one from World War Two
From what I have found, the 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment has a proud and distinguished history. Not only that, but they have an important role in today’s Army National Guard. I believe it would be an honor to serve in this great unit.
On a side note, I’m trying to find Soldiers who have served in the unit at one point or another in their military career. I would love if you would be willing to share what your experience was like. What unit were you in? What was your job? When did you serve? Just leave a comment below to share your thoughts. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks for visiting my website today. My name is Chuck Holmes. I am a former Army Major (resigned). I enjoy mentoring Soldiers, NCOs and officers through this website. I’ve had the luxury of working for myself, from home, for the past six years. I’m a pajama entrepreneur. If you’d like to learn how to work from home like I do, you should learn more about my home business. I promote natural and organic products and weight loss.
If you’d like to get in touch with me, my best email is email@example.com.