Today, we’re going to talk about the 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment in the Army National Guard. To the best of my knowledge this is the only ACR in the entire Army National Guard (correct me if I am wrong please), and one of only two ACRs in the entire U.S. Army.
Even though it’s labeled as an ACR, it is actually structured as a Heavy Brigade Combat Team, with a combination of M3 Bradley tanks and M1 Abrams tanks.
What I want to do in the paragraphs below is share a few neat facts about the unit, so you know what they are all about.
- It’s part of the Tennessee Army National Guard
- The motto is “I Volunteer, Sir!”
- The unit has participated in the American Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican War, the War with Spain, the Mexican Expedition, World War 1, World War II, the Korean War and the Iraq Campaign.
- It’s headquarters is in Knoxville, Tennessee
- It consists of a headquarters element and six squadrons (battalions)
- The unit is equipped with M3 Bradley tanks and M1 Abrams tanks
- Their primary mission is surveillance, reconnaissance and security
- It is a self-sustaining unit commanded by an O-6 Colonel
- They have a state and federal mission, as do all ARNG units
- Their history dates back PRIOR to the American Revolutionary War
- They served under General Robert E. Lee under the Army of Northern Virginia during the Civil War
- There are four Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients from the unit, three from World War One and one from World War Two
From what I have found, the 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment has a proud and distinguished history. Not only that, but they have an important role in today’s Army National Guard. I believe it would be an honor to serve in this great unit.
On a side note, I’m trying to find Soldiers who have served in the unit at one point or another in their military career. I would love if you would be willing to share what your experience was like. What unit were you in? What was your job? When did you serve? Just leave a comment below to share your thoughts. I look forward to hearing from you.
Former Army Major (resigned)
- Drop the Belly Fat Today! Decrease cravings. Lose weight and feel great. Learn how.
- The # 1 Health Product you need, but haven't heard of before! Get the info.
- My Favorite Cup of Coffee. You've got to try this SMART COFFEE. Learn more.
- The # 1 Home Business for 2024 & Beyond! Daily Pay. Take the free tour.
- Get Paid to Shop Online. It's 100% free forever. Earn $30 per referral. Learn more.